9/14/2016

5 Tips To Survive South Korea (Study Abroad Edition)



1. Money

I don't think I can stress this enough the most important thing about studying abroad is the money. I think we live in a sad world, I wish education was free, worldwide, So if you come from the states like I do the Korean currency is not as low as you think. Now if you are a part of the land of the Pounds or the Euros you may face less breakdowns then us poor Americans. ( Mom., why couldn't we live in Europe?) If you are an American and you find yourself struggling like I did, might I recommend finding a job. Side tutoring, stripping, anything that will help bring in the bucks. When coming to study here in Korea, studying eats up a lot of money, not to mention rent, food, clubbing, and shopping. I remember looking at my bank account in my third month like where did all my money go. I swear it was hiding somewhere else. Coming here make sure you budget right and only you know yourself. If you plan on shopping a lot make sure you have funds for that and you aren't starving 2 days in.


2. Friends 


I think this is the most important part weather you are coming to Korea with your friends or you will meet and make friends along the way. Friends will help you with practicing Korean because you maybe too scared to approach Koreans. Friends will help you with #1 Money. If you have a friend that knows someone that need tutoring then Bam! You are set with a job. Friends will go clubbing, shopping and eating with you. While I don't have a problem eating alone Korea is a very sharing culture so some may have problems eating by themselves. Trust me, if I never met the people I did know I would not be going to London for 2 months (My dream city)












3. Studying Hard


Now you may think this section is a game, but you did not come to Korea to find your prince charming( Unless you did then hey right on) for the rest of us Studying is the only thing that will guarantee your placement in the next level no matter what school you go to. If you are a college student, you understand how to balance both a life and your studies. If your a young high school student then you better learn quickly how to balance. While the studying is the least hard part there is a lot of homework and a lot of chances to just do nothing, When you think you have time to break you don't you better be studying. You better be studying on the plane, the train, the bathroom before you sleep, ect. I recommend the Quizlet app and online program it is a free program where you can play games and use flash cards to learn your vocab. ect.



4. Getting Out of your comfort Zone, and learning New things



This one is my favorite, If you don't think you can do it, you probably can, you are just too scared to try. Now that I'm in Korea alone, I find myself doing things alone. Seeing a movie by myself having dinner alone, and it's okay, it's new it's refreshing. I have never done things alone. But this time it's just me and that's scary but exciting at the same time. Learn about new cultures, learn about new people learn to run, learn to swim there is so many things to do in Korea, clubs to join people to meet. Go to a language exchange go to a bar and people watch. I've been going to things alone since New York it's fun trust me. Change your point of view.



5. Lower your expectations.


Last but not least, you girls that come here have high expectations. Trust me, I had them myself, but no place is that perfect place you see on TV. I''m still looking for that version of New York City that Gossip Girl portrayed. I think Kpop and Kdrama has made Korean look like a promise land. While these places probably exist if you are a broke student, you are not looking for those places at all.
Most likely you will frequent places that you always go to. No Jay Park will not appear from a random store (Sadly) and yes concerts do come out of no where. But Korea is not what it looks like on TV and that should not be the only reason you come to Korea. So if that is you reasons stay home, but if not these are some tips for you.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Shops

© Adventure Seoul | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig